Thursday, August 20, 2009

Foundation



Since we covered basic skin care, I thought we could move on to the next step - foundation. This is my current routine and products that I use.

After I've washed and dried my face, made sure all eye makeup is removed, and applied toner, I apply a primer. I'm new to the world of primer. Since my skin is so sensitive and I have allergies, I try not to layer too many things on my face and keep it simple. But I have to say that primer really does make a difference and so far it has not once caused an allergy problem. I've been using Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer. I just put one full squirt of it on my finger then smear it on the different areas of my face and blend with my fingers. It gives your face a silky feeling. Smashbox also makes a "Light" version which I have also tried and will probably purchase when my regular bottle runs out. I've noticed when I use primer my face looks smoother and more poreless. Plus it has vitamins and antioxidants in it and doesn't have any smell at all.


After the primer, I apply my foundation. I alternate between a dry stick foundation and a liquid foundation depending on if I want a dewy look or a matte look. I have been using Loreal Ideal Balance Quickstick in Pale for years. Unfortunately, Loreal has discontinued the Quickstick, so I had to order it through Amazon.com last time. I just draw stripes all over my face and then blend them with a foundation brush. I love, love, love this foundation stick and I don't know what in the world I will do to replace it! Loreal's website referred me to the new Infallible Powder which I will most likely try and report back to you on.


As far as liquid foundation is concerned, lately I have been blending Lorac Oil Free Neutralizer with Clinique's Almost Makeup Teint Naturel Parfait. I put one small squirt of each on my hand then blend them together with a foundation brush and swipe all over my face and blend. The Neutralizer is meant to even out your skin and cancel out any red in it. You can wear it alone, but be aware that it is extremely light! You don't want to look like you are wearing a mask. Ulta now sells Lorac if you want to check it out.


If I have any blemishes that show through, I use my finger to very lightly dot on some Mary Kay Signature Concealer in Ivory. A little goes a long way. I've been using this concealer for years also. If I feel like applying powder, I use a powder brush to apply Make Up Forever's HD High Definition Powder. It is completely white in the jar, but completely sheer when you apply it. It really diffuses everything very well.


I have had very good experiences with these products as far as them not aggravating my allergies. There is a website called http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ where you can go to check out all kinds of makeup, skin care products, hair care products and more. They rank each product's safety/irritant levels on a scale of 0 to 10. If you don't see a product you're looking for, you can submit it as a suggestion for testing. Smashbox's Light Primer scored a "3" and my Loreal Quickstick scored a "2" so you can see why I'm so sad that it's been discontinued.

1 comment: